Until 2002, E. Dale Adkins, III was one of Maryland's leading defense lawyers, representing both doctors and hospitals in medical malpractice cases, particularly cases involving brain injured children.
In this pursuit, he acquired an intimate knowledge of medicine and how serious injury cases are evaluated and defended by insurance companies. Now, he applies that knowledge on behalf of injured plaintiffs seeking damages. Knowing how the other side thinks gives Mr. Adkins and his clients a distinct advantage. He believes thatimagination– the ability to find a different and better way to communicate ideas to a jury- is the key to success. Since joining SCBMA, he has obtained many multi-million dollar jury verdicts and settlements, including a $17.4 million dollar jury verdict in the District of Columbia.
Mr. Adkins comes from a family of lawyers and judges in Salisbury, the heart of Maryland’s lower Eastern Shore. He has a keen interest in teaching, a talent he believes is critical for a jury lawyer. Mr. Adkins has lectured at a graduate-level course for physicians at Johns Hopkins Medical School and at Grand Rounds to the Orthopedic Residents at Johns Hopkins. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America and has been recognized as one of Baltimore’s Best Lawyers in Baltimore Magazine. Since 1996, he has been a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a society comprised of the top 1% of trial lawyers in the United States and Canada.
Mr. Adkins was also named as one of the Top 10 personal injury and medical malpractice lawyers in Maryland in 2009 by Baltimore Magazine and as Lawyer of the Year for Personal Injury by Best Lawyers.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, J.D., 1971
- Haverford College, B.A., 1968
- Maryland, 1974
- Washington, D.C., 2005
Committees and Organizations
- Member, Maryland Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar
- Former Chairman, Haverford College Alumni Society Maryland Chapter
- Former Chairman, Baltimore City Commission for Social Services
- Board Member, The Hearing and Speech Agency, Inc.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Maryland Super Lawyers, 2006 to present