Before joining Bekman, Marder, Hopper, Malarkey & Perlin, Ryan Perlin worked at a leading Baltimore defense firm, representing health care providers and hospitals in medical malpractice cases and local and national clients in defense of tort claims.
Mr. Perlin now uses the insight he gained as a defense lawyer to advocate for clients injured in medical, automobile, and personal injury matters, and to use the civil justice system to provide relief to victims of negligence.
Mr. Perlin graduated with honor from the University of Maryland School Of Law where he competed on the National Trial Team, was elected Vice-President of the Moot Court Board, and was honored by the law school faculty with membership in the Order of the Barristers, a selective national organization which honors excellence in oral and written advocacy. Following law school, Mr. Perlin clerked on the Circuit Court for Baltimore City for the Honorable Stuart R. Berger, now a judge on Maryland’s Court of Special Appeals.
Since then, Mr. Perlin has handled cases in federal and state courts throughout Maryland and Washington, D.C. and has been admitted pro hac vice to handle cases in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Perlin is active in the legal community as the President of the Board of Directors for Disability Rights Maryland, a member of the Board of Governors of the Maryland Association for Justice, and a member of the Alumni Board for the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law.
Mr. Perlin has received numerous legal honors including the prestigious, “AV Preeminent” rating from the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, recognized for his strong legal ability and high ethical standards. He has also been recognized as a Maryland Super Lawyer every year since 2011.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, J.D., 2005, With Honor
- American University, B.A., 2002, cum laude
- Maryland, 2005
- Washington, D.C., 2010
Committees and Organizations
- President of the Board of Directors, Disability Rights Maryland, 2021 to Present (on the Board of Directors since 2017)
- Alumni Board Member and Governance Committee Chair, University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, June 2017 to Present
- Board of Governors, Maryland Association for Justice, April 2017 to Present
- Litigation Council and Legislative Liaison, MSBA Litigation Section, 2015 to Present
- Peer Review Committee Member, Attorney Grievance Commission, 2013 to 2015
- Member, J. Dudley Digges American Inn of Court, 2011 to 2018
- Member, Maryland Association for Justice, 2011 to Present
- Member, American Association for Justice, 2011 to Present
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association Young Lawyers’ Division, 2004 to Present
- Maryland Super Lawyer – 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2012, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers – “AV Preeminent®” Rating
- Top 100 Maryland Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Order of the Barristers, 2005
Fundamentals of Informed Consent, Lorman Education Services (March 20, 2013)
Preparing Clients for the Litigation Road Ahead, Bar Association of Baltimore City (December 29, 2013)
Deposition Preparation, Bar Association of Baltimore City (January 29, 2014)
Introduction to Federal Practice: Summary Judgment, Federal Bar Association (April 3, 2015)
Medical Malpractice: An Introduction, Prince George’s Hospital Center Family Medicine Residency (July 7, 2015)
Medical Malpractice: An Introduction, Prince George’s Hospital Center Family Medicine Residency (August 9, 2016)
Judicial Forum: What Civil Court Judges Want You to Know, Moderator, National Business Institute (December 16, 2016)
End Distracted Driving, presentations to high school and college students through www.enddd.org and The Casey Feldman Foundation (Multiple presentations, 2017 to present)
Legal & Ethical Issues in Treating Patients with Cultural and Religious Beliefs that Differ from the U.S. Standard of Care, Prince George’s Hospital Center Family Medicine Residency (April 18, 2017)
Guest Lecturer, Medical Malpractice Seminar, University of Maryland Carey Law School (November 7, 2018)
Mock Trial Seminar, Maryland Association for Justice, Role of Defense Emergency Medicine Expert, University of Baltimore School of Law (February 1, 2019)
Interviewing Skills, Panel Member, University of Maryland Carey Law School (July 24, 2019)
Medical Malpractice: An Introduction, Prince George’s Hospital Center Family Medicine Residency (February 4, 2020)
Plaintiffs’ Practice Panel, Maryland Association for Justice, University of Baltimore School of Law (March 4, 2020)
How to Protect Your License and What To Do If You Get a Grievance, Moderator, Maryland Association for Justice, Managing a Solo or Small Law Firm Series (September 29, 2022)
Perlin, Ryan S., An Overview of Courtroom Technology in Maryland Courts, The Maryland Litigator, June 2018.
Selected Appellate Cases
Univ. of Maryland Med. Sys. Corp. v. Muti, 426 Md. 358, 363, 44 A.3d 380, 383 (2012)
Morse v. Erie Ins. Exch., 217 Md. App. 1, 6, 90 A.3d 512, 515 (2014)
Woznicki v. GEICO Gen. Ins. Co., 443 Md. 93, 115 A.3d 152 (2015)